A collaborative project I would really like to explore as a teacher would be with the school’s drama/theater department – working as a stage assistant for Hancher Auditorium the past few years has really kindled in me an interest in productions. In middle school I had a lot of fun working on set construction for plays – our art teacher headed up the group. My high school didn’t have a show choir, and I did not participate in the plays or madrigals, but looking back I wish I would have. At the time I was too busy with sports and various other school clubs. What I like about theater is that it is a celebration of the fine and related arts – there is something for everyone, whether it be acting, script writing, ushering, advertising productions, graphic design of programs, singing, band, orchestra, set construction, dance choreography, photography, filming the event, costume design, lighting and rigging, sound engineering, etc. Other positives are that students learn a lot, have fun, make memories and friendships, and a sense of community is really felt within and beyond the school. Money is usually raised for the department too through ticket sales. Another positive is that making an event happen gives students a sense of accomplishment/self confidence. In my experience with Hancher, things like ironing wardrobes in the dressing rooms, directing performers where to go backstage, opening/closing the shell door between pieces, manning the audio and visual aids table, transporting artists from the airport to their hotel to sound check to after parties, being the catering runner, and making sure the fire alarm doesn’t go off while silenced as to not interrupt the performance may seem simple, but the show could not go on without them. In fine arts the smallest details make the biggest difference.
(If you or anyone you know needs a job – apply to work for Hancher. You get to listen to Broadway musicals and other shows for free, get paid to do your homework lots of the time, the staff is so nice, scheduling is really flexible, there always seems to be free food, and you even get to meet semi-famous people like Kathy Griffin and Roseanne Cash!)
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment