There are many ways I will be an advocate for the arts in my future school district and involve my students in the process. One way I will be an advocate is to display student work in public places. Luckily my parents are very involved in my hometown community and I will have access to churches, banks, dentist offices, the orphanage, YMCAs, hospitals, etc. in addition to the school buildings themselves. And even if I didn't have access to these places, I would just have to ask for permission - it doesn't hurt, and makes the business look like they are supporting their community too - a good marketing strategy! My high school photography teacher required every AP Portfolio student to donate/make a piece to be hung in the high school. The only reason it would ever be removed is if it was damaged somehow. This same teacher was also in charge of the Art Club, and something we did that promoted art was to host a dance at the high school for the 6th grade middle schoolers, since only the 7th and 8th graders were allowed to attend middle school dances. They loved the graffiti "club underground" themed decorations and I think the event probably resulted in a lot more of the 6th graders registering for art classes when their freshman year rolled around. Another way I will be an advocate is to start/help with after school and summer art classes for elementary school students, and an Art Club for secondary students. I don't know if my first teaching job will be art or Spanish or both, but either way I want to take students on trips abroad during the summer, winter, or spring breaks. Another way I would be an advocate would be to invite non-art students if I had arranged for a guest speaker to present to my classes/club.
There are risks involved in advocating for the arts by displaying secondary student work of course, especially since students are discovering feelings about controversial topics such as religion, sexuality, war, abortion, gun control, etc. at this age and often want to express these developing views in their pieces. (I don't think this is as much of an issue with elementary school students) I don't really know what I would do if a student wanted to hang something up that was "offensive" because they have the freedom of speech/expression but at the same time I wouldn't want to loose my job if it came down to it. Another risk is student work being vandalized (especially if it is "offensive") if it isn't displayed in a glass case or another inaccessible location. And of course there are risks that come with advocating for the arts by taking students on field trips, especially study abroad trips - safety, etc.
I don't think balancing my need to be an advocate but still "going with the flow" in my future district will be much of an issue my first year of teaching, because realistically I'll probably just be struggling to keep my own head above the water, let alone have much time to advocate. But after that first tough year I think balance can be achieved by keeping in mind to look at things from other peoples' perspectives. A negative situation can be turned into a positive one if you try to learn from another teacher who's theories of teaching do not coincide with your own instead of writing them off completely.
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment